Skip to main content

The Opposite of Lite

As a relaxing activity for after lunch, I decided to bake a pan of brownies from a "lite" dessert cookbook. I dutifully separated the egg whites, used a small snack-size container of applesauce, and even swapped Splenda in for the white sugar. Not until AFTER putting the pan into the oven did I realize that I had microwaved and used the entire stick of butter, rather than the 3 tablespoons called for by the recipe. Ooops - auto pilot. Well, the texture will probably be wrong. But at least this screw-up can only make them taste better.

Comments

  1. I hope you realize that Splenda is not a natural product and is a man-made chemical. Check out:

    http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, better living through chemistry and all that. I like that Splenda exists, along with pharmaceuticals, artificial flavors, and preservatives. People can read ingredient labels if they care not to eat these things. Whoever trusts a marketing campaign to fully inform themselves about any product (electronics, prescriptions, diet aids) is going to be disappointed. We are lucky now to have the internet as a resource to research the hell out of all of our purchases. I'm still amused that having this blog sometimes means the research is now tracking ME down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned ON, which means I will need to read and approve your comment before it shows up under the post. Sorry about the word verification step, I was getting linkspam emails. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Poll: Vacation Days

We only get 12 vacation days per year. It increases to 15 days after 10 years of service, then 20 days after 15 years of service. Is this good, normal, or poor? It doesn't seem like enough, especially to both take a see-new-places trip and do a family visit in the same year. We do get 12 holidays as days off with pay, mostly clumped at the end of the year for Christmas shutdown. Also, sick days aren't levied against us, so that is fair. Comp-time is an option, but that doesn't really count in my mind as time off (we can get paid for any overtime instead). So, a quick poll: is your vacation policy better or worse than mine is? Do you feel like you get enough time off? Do you even get to use your vacation time?

Resisting Twitter

This is a test to see how well mobile blogging of short ideas goes from my iPod. I'm slightly interested in Twitter, but I've already got this blog I rarely post to. So, rather than add another page my parents have to go to read how I'm doing, I'll try updating this one more often.

Any Advice on Sergers?

Does anyone who reads this blog have any advice for me on Sergers? I'm in the market for one, but I'm having a difficult time getting good information to make a decision. There just isn't the critical mass of opinions online about this product - sewers as a group do not generally contribute as much content to online communities as computer people, or even car people. I'm getting suspicious because while there is a lot of "I wouldn't buy X because it is junk," there isn't much "I did buy X and it was junk." People seem to easily put down the brands that they did not buy, but when it comes to what they did buy, no-one is saying they screwed up. The negative reviews just aren't there, so I don't know how much I can trust the good reviews. Are the good reviewers just the lucky people who got the good machines, and the unhappy people just operate under "If you can't say something nice..."??? Or are we in a happy state ...