Saturday, April 7, 2007

It's Better Live

When life stops changing drastically every four years, time can start slipping by without making much of an impression. Recently I've become aware that going along in my rut (it's a good rut, but still, I'm doing the same thing week after week) isn't letting enough fun into my life. So I'm making an effort to jump at chances to have new experiences interspersed day-to-day.

Last weekend I took Sara up on her offer (see comments to previous post) of going out to a college acapella competition downtown. I've been in choirs and choruses for the majority of my life, but I wasn't quite enough of a chorus geek to be aware of this particular sport. Apparently at some larger colleges (larger than Rose, at least, which was the same size as my high school) groups of students get together and practice acapella songs to perform and compete with other groups. It isn't barbershop, madrigal, Latin chanting, or do-wop. These songs are arrangements of popular music, where there is still one or two main vocalists and the rest of the choir is taking over for the instruments, including the drums. I was really impressed with how many different sounds can be made by the human voice. Each choir did about three songs, and the soloists switched off. Some numbers had choreography, which was like watching just the musical numbers from a school production. The funny thing was when the "instruments" suddenly sing something in English to supplement the number. (My favorite was during that "You oughta know" song, after the soloist said "till you die, till you die, but you're still alive" the rest of the group says "Why don't you die?")

It was a really long night. I left home at about 4 pm, took until 5:45 pm to get downtown to the restaurant. The show was scheduled to start at 8 pm, but didn't get going until 8:30 pm because people were still arriving. Then they had to stall in between sets to let the judges tally their scores. 6 groups for 15 minutes each, a 15 minute intermission halfway through, and THEN the judges took their dear sweet time deciding who was going to win. The host group, Northwestern's Purple Haze, ran through their entire repertoire. Then the had a "beat box" contest. Then they pulled another choir out of the audience who happened to be there ("Is there an acapella choir in the house?) so we heard two songs from Boston College's Bostonians before the judges were finally ready. By the time the night was over and I was back at my car it was after midnight. I actually hit traffic on the way home because of construction, so I got home at 1:30 am. Driving to downtown Chicago... grrr...

My favorite band of the night, the xtension chords, was selling CDs after the show so I bought their most recent one. It's called "Instrumentally Challenged" and I've listened to it twice. Nothing really wrong with the CD, but I have to say in general that this type of music is really better live. I'd certainly go to another concert, but I don't think I'd buy another CD. The excitement isn't captured. The complexity of the human voice isn't captured, and their great acting and stage presence certainly didn't show up on the audio recording. (They got 1st runner up to another band that I forgot the name of.)

So in all it was a really fun evening with Sara, Tony, and Amanda. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to step out of my rut for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned ON, which means I will need to read and approve your comment before it shows up under the post. Sorry about the word verification step, I was getting linkspam emails. Thanks!

Me

Me
There aren't many photos of the photographer

Twitter

Search This Blog

Flickr Badge

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from prismglass. Make your own badge here.

Labels